Sunday, September 12, 2021

Group work and Classroom Management Research

Group work and Classroom Management Research 

What did you learn about this topic?

As mentioned in previous posts, I have decided to focus on group work and classroom management this year.  I have noticed that students often have a difficult time working in groups and I hope that helping to improve these practices for them will also improve our overall classroom management.  I read an article about emotional intelligence in Edutopia that really opened my eyes to different things. Emotional intelligence includes information on students’ ability to monitor their own behavior and feelings.  This has a lot to do with the self-assessments I will have students do in class to reflect on group work practices. In addition, there was an article in Edutopia about transitions and this is an aspect that will also help facilitate better classroom management.

What resource mediums were used?

I read a lot of articles on Edutopia, but also decided to investigate Solution Tree. When researching on my own, I also found examples and guides for how to create self-assessment rubrics which is helpful.

How will this topic enhance and support student learning?

Classroom management, in my opinion, is the single most important thing in a classroom.  In order for students to learn behavior-related topics, the class needs to run smoothly.  In order for students to learn academic topics, the classroom needs to have certain expectations and procedures in place.  In order for students to transition well, they need to know what is expected of them and be able to do it quickly and quietly.  All of these things lead to more successful learning processes for all involved.


Submitted by: Leah Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment