Thursday, May 23, 2019

Building Basic Fact Fluency in the Elementary Classroom

Resources for Building Number Sense and Basic Fact Fluency in the Elementary Classroom

Compiled by T. Crow

The purpose of this blog is to share the resources I compiled for building number sense and basic fact fluency in my third grade classroom.  I've found that consistent, varied practice is key to helping students become familiar and adept with basic facts and number patterns.

Sites with helpful resources/links/ideas:

Sites with games/activities for students to directly use via iPads/laptops:

Helpful YouTube videos my students enjoyed and used often:

Please note that there are many more videos available.  Jack Hartmann, in particular, has many, many videos that you may find useful.

To gauge fact fluency progress, I administered basic fact timed tests periodically (I've found that occasional use is better than overuse, however.).  I used the following online chart creator to make line charts so my students could see their progress over time:

Here is a great online random number generator I use when having the kids practice doubling numbers and adding one, two, and ten to numbers:

A great print resource to use is Mastering Addition and Subtraction by Susan O'Connell and John SanGiovanni. Click here for more information about this book and other print resources.

Math-Aids.Com has an easy-to-use random math fact worksheet generator to create worksheets for practicing fact skills such as adding doubles, doubles +1, doubles + 2, etc., as well as subtracting one, two, and three from a number. Click here to utilize this site.

If you have iPads for your students to use, here are a couple of apps to try with your students, which my students enjoyed and used often:

I hope you find these resources to be useful and effective in your classroom!









3 comments:

  1. Thanks,Todd, for sharing your resources for building number sense. In my district, we are also trying to improve number sense with our students. The past two years we have been doing "Number Sense" in the elementary grades.
    I really like how you have your students record their number sense progress by keeping track of their scores online. I like how the students are kept accountable, and that they are the ones who track their progress.
    We have ipads 1-1 in my district. I would like to try the two apps that you suggested, Pet Bingo and Math Slide. Thanks so much for sharing! -Wendy Buseman, H-D Comm. Schools

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you have ever used Number Talks or Number Sense as resources for your classroom? They use these books in a class from the AEA. (At least at our AEA) They really help students think about how to use the numbers to help with facts they may not know and really help them build number sense instead of just memorization. Great songs that I can't wait to use. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete