Friday, June 5, 2020

The Data: Formative Assessments

I am going to go over the data from the second quarter. I will be comparing the scores of individual students and also compare the class average on the formative vs the summative.  I want to start by making it clear this is just data from 2 class sections for a total of 26 students, mathematically this can be insignificant, but for me this information was important to making changes to the process as we went into the second semester. 

Below is a scores grid, I have highlighted improved scores from the QC to the summative assessment, or a perfect score on both. If you view the data, generally over half of the class would improve between the two assessments. This view of the data gave me confidence that the students were getting something out of the process as they were improving their knowledge in some way between the two assessments. This score sheet also shows how/if the class average went up between the two, again over half of the targets had an increase, I would have preferred to see more of the class averages increasing. Two of the chapters the last learning target did not have much success. I am curious to dig into this further next year if it is just the topic of the target or if it is the turnaround between initial learning and summative assessment. 

Looking at Learning Target 4.1. This was one of the sections that due to the class average I planned a whole class reteaching. Based on the improvements from the formatative to the summative assessment, identifying the topics of struggle for all students is very important to student success. I feel more confident in identifying those and coming up with more engaging lessons to help students with the understanding.

This is just a snapshot of my class in one quarter of one year, but seeing the data makes me confident that this process has shown success. I really look forward to adjusting a few aspects of it, to reach more students in the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment